Friday, October 1, 2010

The Future of the NFL

In my crystal ball I see much diversity. I see a new way of playing the game of football. I see much more exciting style of play.

Every year in the NFL, teams are coming up with new formations and implementing successful unique plays. Teams like Miami, Philadelphia and even Tennessee have prompted this article. Watching teams with a talented quarterback that is not only a great passer but also a great rusher is really encouraging. Watching Micheal Vick for the past few weeks has been extremely exciting. Watching Miami's Wildcat offense is one of the most impressive offenses in recent years. Vince Young has not really proved himself as a great passer but his is very talented in advoiding the blitzes. Most recently majority of the teams have gone from a one running back system to a two running back system, if not three. A 16 game season, if not an 18 game season is extremely difficult on running backs. Which means less carries for one particular running back but potentially more yardage for the team. Last week, the Kansas City Chiefs rushed for 207 yards. Thomas Jones rushed for 95 yards and Jamaal Charles rushed for 97 yards. Meanwhile, there are an increase in what I like to call, "utility" players. Utility players are those who can blend between a running back and a wide receiver. Or a quarter back and a wide receiver.

I played High School football in Texas. On my team my sophomore year was a guy who could play every position. We used him as a full back, receiver, kicker, punter, linebacker, some times line man and sometimes quarterback. I understand that High school football is much different than NFL. However, there are many players coming up that have the diversity to be used in several different areas. With these attributes, I believe the NFL is changing into a great football program.

For example, lets take the Oakland Raiders. The Oakland Raiders have had some of the worst years that this franchise has ever seen. However, each and every year they put together some of the greatest collection of players and "utility" players. This year they picked up Jacoby Ford. Now sure, the Raiders Offensive Line is weak to say the least but thats ok for what I am about to suggest.

QB - Gradkowski
WR1 - Schilens
WR2 - Hayward - Bay
Slot - Jacoby Ford
RB - McFadden
FB- Bush

If this offense took the field in a Split Back Offense. He would have several options at receiving and extra protection blocking by having two backs. Now, lets say the defense changed and Gradkowski realized that the play there were to make was about to be foiled. He calls an option and runs out far right as Jacoby Ford lands under center. I am definitely not saying that Gradkowski would be a great receiver but I am saying that this style of offense would not only catch their opponents off guard but also make for an interesting football game. Ford would have the option of rushing the ball, throwing a short pass to McFadden or going deep to Schilens.

The NFL is changing. And with that change, all teams need to conform. I believe by offering a Wildcat option for your football team would make a world of differences. Teams can not compete against the changing of offensive strategies.

Sorry I used the Raiders for my example but they need the most help.

I believe that a true mix of West Coast, Wildcat, Standard Shotgun, I formations, Split Backs, and Wish bone is needed in the NFL today. Defenses are getting increasingly more difficult but with these changes it could dramatically change the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment